Last Updated: October 1, 2019
Information We Collect
How We Use the Information We Collect
How We Share Information with Third Parties
Third Party Analytics and Targeted Advertising
Your Choices and Changing Your Information
California Privacy Rights
Changes To Our Privacy Statement
For More Information
This privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes the information that Boston Market (“Boston Market ” “we,” or “us” or “our”) collects on bostonmarket.com, or any other authorized websites, mobile applications, in-store, other online services, tools or programs where this Notice appears, and in connection with our Programs available through the online services (for example, Rotisserie Rewards or VIP) (collectively, our “online services”), how we use such information, and when we share it with third parties. This Notice applies only to information collected via the online services. We may combine the information we collect through our online services with information that we receive in other contexts (including information you provide or that we obtain over the phone, via fax, or when you visit a Boston Market restaurant), in which case we will treat the combined information in accordance with this Notice. Please note that not all of the features/functionality described in this Notice are available on or through each portion of the online services.
This Notice is part of the Terms and Conditions for Our Online Services (“Terms”) for our online services. Separate terms may also apply to certain/other programs and services offered by Boston Market (“Programs”). By using the online services, you agree to this Notice, the Terms, and any applicable Program terms. Your continued access to or use of the online services and/or participation in any of the Programs after this Notice has been changed or modified (see Last Updated date above) signifies your acceptance of the updated Notice. As a result, you should frequently review this Notice and the Terms to understand the terms and conditions that apply to your access to, use of and/or participation in the online services. If you do not agree to the changed or modified Notice and Terms, do not use the online services.
1. Information We Collect
Boston Market collects both Personal Information and Other Information regarding users of the online services, either directly or through the activities of third-party Vendors and service providers (“Vendors”). For purposes of this Notice, “Personal Information” is information that Boston Market can directly associate with a specific person or entity without additional information. “Other Information” is any information that is not Personal Information. We may combine Other Information with Personal Information, and in those circumstances we will treat the combined information as Personal Information.
The Personal Information that Boston Market collects may include, for example and without limitation:
- Personal details, such as your first and last name, birthday information, postal address, email address, phone number.
- Transaction information, including information about the menu items you buy, prices, methods of payment and payment details
- Account information, geolocation (which may include specific longitude and latitude)
- Financial payment details for purchases
- Financial and business information related to a catering applicant/customer
We may use automated technology to collect information from your computer system or mobile device when you visit our restaurants, use our online services, or in-restaurant technology. Automated technology may include cookies, local shared objects, and web beacons. There is more information below about cookies and other technologies in Section 4.
We may collect information about your:
- Internet protocol (IP) address;
- Date and time of access of our online services or in-restaurant technology;
- Name and URL of the file retrieved when you use our online services;
- Computer or mobile-device operating system and browser type;
- Type of mobile device and its settings;
- Unique device identifier (UDID) or mobile equipment identifier (MEID) for your mobile device;
- Device and component serial numbers; advertising identifiers (for example, IDFAs and IFAs) or similar identifiers;
- Referring website (a site that has led you to ours) or application; and
- Activity related to how you use our online services, such as the pages you visit on our sites or in our mobile apps.
Information you provide directly when you use or otherwise interact with the online services, complete a survey, contact us through our Guest Service Center at email@example.com, provide feedback and/or submissions, make a press inquiry, or submit information through the Online services or in connection with a Program.
Information recorded as a result of your interaction with us, our Vendors or franchisees and/or use of the Online services (including information we receive when you use your Program member card(s), historical sales information, your geolocation information (which may include specific longitude and latitude) and information about the device you are using (for example, device type, characteristics and status, browser type, operating system and application version and information about how our application is used) or through our marketing activities (see the “Usage Information” and “Third Party Analytics and Targeted Marketing” sections below).
Our online services and in-restaurant technology may collect information about the exact location of your mobile device or computer using geolocation and technology such as GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or cell tower proximity. For most mobile devices and computer systems, you will be requested to give your permission for Boston Market to process this information. You are able to withdraw your permission for us to collect this information by using the device or web-browser settings. If you have any questions about how to prevent us from collecting exact information about your location, we recommend you contact your mobile-device service provider, the device manufacturer, or your web-browser provider. Some online services and in-restaurant technology may not work properly without information about your location. By law, we may need to keep certain information.
Information we collect from other sources.
We may collect information about you from other companies and organizations, including public databases, social media platforms, or third party partners such as analytics or marketing providers. We may also collect information that is publicly available. For example, we may collect public profile information about you when you interact with us through social media. We may also collect communications to us or regarding us on social media.
Other information we may collect includes, for example, your occupation, general geographic location, media and brand preferences, inferred interests, demographic information, purchase behavior, public online activities, and other information about you or your household.
- Information that you provide as part of entering a contest or sweepstakes online through the online services or through a third-party website. This information will be used as described in the applicable Official Contest/Sweepstakes Rules.
- Information that is publicly available, for example information you submit to a blog, chat room or social media network like Facebook or Twitter.
- Information that your social media network provides to us if you connect your social media account with Boston Market. For example, this may include your social media ID or username, name, email address, general location, friends list, and demographic information such as gender or birthday/age. Note that certain of the information we receive will become part of your account(s) with Boston Market and will be subject to this Privacy Notice.
- Information as described elsewhere in this Notice, the Terms, and/or applicable Program terms, or at the time such information is collected.
We may combine the information you provide us, with information that is collected through automated methods, and with information we receive from other sources, for example, our advertisements that you see. We may also associate information we collect about you with information we collect about other users’ accounts if you/your employer has set up an account for multiple authorized users (for example, a corporate catering account).
2. How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use the information we collect in the following ways:
- To provide our services and contract with you.
- To contact you by email, phone, text, push notice or other method regarding our products and services, including matters related to your account, your order, or your future catering needs.
- To provide you with, or otherwise respond to your submissions or requests for, information and/or services, including but not limited to providing webcasts, text messages, push notices, marketing, and other programs; responding to Guest Service issues, catering and other inquiries; and letting you know if you qualify for one of our programs (for example, Rotisserie Rewards or VIP).
- To provide services, programs and services functionality and to administer the online services, Programs and services, including to let you sign up for an account, provide you with program benefits, verify your participation in a program or service, process orders placed and applicable payments, track submissions, and make your historical ordering information that we have available to you. We do not have your historical ordering information for orders you place through third parties like GrubHub, DoorDash otherwise not through bostonmarket.com or our mobile app. Note that third-party information you provide may be maintained in connection with your submission. Please note that we may suspend, cancel, or combine multiple Rotisserie Rewards, or VIP, or other accounts through the services if they appear to be duplicative.
- To send you promotional messages regarding new menu items, products or services, events in our restaurants, events that Boston Market sponsors, including but not limited to contests, sweepstakes and surveys, and special offers and marketing programs, which may include information about our affiliated company(ies), and/or other programs with which any of us or them are involved, and/or information about third party products, services, offers or programs.
- To invite you to participate in surveys. Survey responses received by Boston Market may not be in an anonymous format and may be associated with your Program account or other Personal Information.
- To provide location-based services to you (such as notifying you of nearby Boston Market restaurant locations or sending push notifications to you) or to engage in analysis, research, product development, and targeted marketing by email, push notification, online or in-app advertising, or otherwise based on your device’s geolocation (which may include specific longitude and latitude), your use of our services (including the Boston Market mobile application), and Personal Information that we collect from you on the Services. See “Location” below for more information. If you do not want to share your specific longitude and latitude with Boston Market, you may adjust your location preferences on your computer, browser, or mobile device.
- To enhance our customers’ and Service users’ experiences in our restaurants, on the services or in a program, and enhance the sales efforts of Boston Market and/or our franchisees.
- To conduct research and analysis and to otherwise measure the effectiveness of the services, programs and our online and offline marketing efforts, and to develop and implement menu items, products, services, and marketing programs. This may include combining Personal Information with other information and other personal information drawn from online and offline sources.
- To work with third parties to append data to our records or enable other parties to append other information to their records.
- To coordinate program activities and communications with other communications and marketing programs conducted by us and/or franchisees. For purposes of targeted or customized advertising or messaging to you, including as described in the “Third Party Analytics and Targeted Marketing” section below. As otherwise described in this Privacy Notice, the Terms, and/or Program terms, or at the time such information is collected.
- To comply with applicable law: protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other crime, claims and other liabilities; comply with legal obligations and our policies; establish, exercise or defend a legal claim; and/or to monitor and report compliance issues.
We may use the information we collect about you in other ways, which we will tell you about at the time we collect it or for which we will seek your consent.
To unsubscribe from marketing emails, click the “unsubscribe” link found in our marketing email messages. You can also unsubscribe through bostonmarket.com or our mobile app.
3. How We Share the Information We Collect
We do not sell your personal information and only share your information as described in this Privacy Notice. We may share your Personal and/or Other Information with third parties as described in this Notice and for our business purposes including, for example and without limitation:
- We may share your information with our vendors, including without limitation companies that host our services or information systems, deliver communications on our behalf, make gift card and e-gift card services available to you, or otherwise assist us with providing the services to you.
- To our affiliates, business units, Vendors, consultants and agents, and to other third parties, and to administer programs and services.
- To third parties when you use their services together with our services, or when you share information directly through our services. For example, the services may contain links to third-party websites that incorporate comments and social media features.
- Our services may also contain a Facebook “like” button and/or a Twitter “follow” button. If you choose to use these features or other comment or sharing features provided through the services, such action may disclose your Personal Information not just to third-party websites and services, but also to their users and the public more generally. The services may also allow you to share portions of your account information with third parties (for example, in connection with your use of an electronic wallet) and will automatically share information about your use of our services with third parties if you use third party services to interact with the services.
- To third parties in the event of a proposed or actual merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, financing, sale, or other transfer of some or all of our business or assets.
- To Vendors and other third parties to engage in analysis, research, improvements to our menu, menu items, products and services, and product development. These parties may use insights gathered from such information to improve their own products or services.
- To Vendors and other third parties in aggregated form and/or in a format that does not, by itself, identify you individually, such as sharing statistics about users of the Online services for Boston Market’s, Vendor’s, and third party(ies)’ business purposes or otherwise.
- To third parties so they can tell you about their products, services, offers and programs which work with or are otherwise related to Boston Market’s, and/or its affiliates menu items, products, services and offers. For example, we may share your information with a payment processor in order for them to tell you about how their services work with Boston Market’s services.
To learn about opting out of the sharing of your Personal Information, see the “Your Choices and Changing Your Information” section.
There may be times where we may share information when it does not directly identify you. For example, we may share anonymous, aggregated statistics about your use of our online services. Or we may combine information about you with other customers and share the information in a way that does not link to a specific customer.
4. Usage Information
Like most websites, apps and other like services, the online services gather traffic patterns, usage information, and similar data. This usage data may identify you individually and we may associate it with Personal Information that we collect from you on the online services and related to any Program(s) you participate in and as otherwise described in this Notice. (See the “Information We Collect” and “How We Use the Information We Collect” sections of this Notice and any applicable individual Program terms for more details.) We may use this data in aggregated form or share aggregated statistics about visitors to the online services with others outside of Boston Market, and we may allow third parties to collect and aggregate Other Information through the online services and/or Vendor sites accessible from or through the online services.
Cookies and other technologies
“Pixels” or “web beacons” are small objects or images used by a website or third-party ad server to cause a cookie to track a user’s activity on particular sites and/or using particular advertising/links, for example, to record that a user has visited a particular webpage or viewed a particular email, and to collect other information about that user on that site, including the IP address of the computer (and therefore infer information, such as geolocation (which may include specific longitude and latitude)), web pages being viewed, date/time viewed, and user activity on a particular page.
Use the options in your web browser if you do not wish to receive a cookie or if you wish to set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie. Click on the “Help” section of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences. If you disable all cookies, you may not be able to take advantage of all the features available on a website.
Some newer web browsers may have a “Do Not Track” preference that transmits a “Do Not Track” header to the websites you visit with information indicating that you do not want your activity to be tracked. Boston Market does not currently take actions to respond to Do Not Track signals because a uniform technological standard has not yet been developed. We continue to review new technologies and may adopt a standard once one is created. Some of our third-party Vendors may permit you to opt out using Do Not Track functionality.
Where video is available on our online services, we may target and track the videos you view. You consent to our tracking of your video viewing through online services or third-party social media for up to two years, or as otherwise permitted by applicable law, or until you withdraw your consent.
Please note the following:
- You might be assigned a cookie when using our online services.
- We may use both session (for the duration of your visit) and persistent (for the duration of a fixed period of time) cookies and other tracking technologies.
- Our online services and other areas related to our business may have web beacons.
We may use these technologies:
- To uniquely identify you or your device;
- To allow you to access and use our online services, where without them, our online services may not work properly;
- To further system security where appropriate;
- For statistical purposes, in order to measure use of our websites and mobile apps;
- Improve our menu, menu items, products and services;
- To help us monitor the performance (e.g., traffic, errors, page load time, popular sections, etc.) of our online services;
- To remember you, for your convenience, when you visit our online services
- To help customize your experience;
- To market to you through targeted advertising; and
- For other purposes described in the section of this Privacy Notice titled, “How we use the information we collect.”
For example, we may use certain technologies to determine whether you have opened an e-mail or clicked on a link contained in an e-mail, how you use the pages and content in our mobile apps, or whether you have clicked on a Boston Market online advertisement.
Both we and others (such as our advertising networks) may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities, over time and across third-party websites and devices, and when using our online services to further personalize your experience with us.
When you use our online services, we (and our vendors who provide services to us) may collect information about your activities so that we can provide you with advertising tailored to your interests.
This marketing may be targeted to you based on Personal or Other Information collected over time, such as through your participation in the Programs, your activity on the online services, your device’s geolocation (which may include specific longitude and latitude), your activity on unaffiliated third-party sites, mobile apps, or other online services, other marketing activities and Programs, and/or from third parties with whom we work. We and our Vendors, including without limitation Facebook, may use Tracking Technologies (as described under “Usage Information” above) to collect information for such marketing and evaluation purposes. For example, our Vendors may use the fact that you visited the Boston Market website to deliver ads to you on non-Boston Market websites, or they may use the fact that you used the Boston Market mobile app to deliver ads to you on non-Boston Market mobile apps. We and our Vendors may also identify whether our marketing activities and programs resulted in you engaging in other activities on our Services, our advertising and/or marketing, making purchases from us and/or our franchisees, visiting restaurants, or otherwise engaging with us. In addition, we and our Vendors may target Boston Market ads to you on your TV or other online services if we or our Vendor have identified you as a Boston Market customer using information we share with them, such as your name, email address, or mailing address.
You can opt out of targeted advertising by visiting www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp. If you choose to opt out, you will continue to receive advertisements but they will not be tailored to your interests.
We and our Vendors may implement and evaluate our marketing activities and programs.
5. Third-Party Analytics and Targeted Advertising
We and our Vendors may use collected information to establish connections among related web browsers and devices (such as smartphones, tablets, computers, and TVs) for targeted advertising, analytics, attribution, and reporting purposes. We and/or our Vendors may match your browsers or devices if you log into the same online service on multiple devices or if your devices share similar attributes that support an inference that they are used by the same person or household. This means that your online behavior (information about your activity on websites or apps on your current browser or device and your device’s geolocation (which may include specific longitude and latitude)) may be combined with information collected from your other browsers or devices. For example, our Vendors may use this information to deliver an ad on your tablet or smartphone, to limit the number of times you see an ad across your devices, and to help measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns across devices.
We and/or our Vendors may collect the geolocation (which may include specific longitude and latitude) of your mobile device based upon information identified by your mobile device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower, WiFi signals, beacons, Bluetooth and/or near field communication protocols. We may use and share your mobile device’s geolocation (which may include specific longitude and latitude) together with Personal or Other Information to identify your local restaurant, to provide you with personalized messaging or content (for example, that you have a Rotisserie Rewards reward available) and/or for marketing purposes by email, push notification, online or in-app advertising, or by other means, as described in “Targeted Marketing” above and/or as otherwise described in this Privacy Notice. See “Opt-Out Choices” below to opt-out of location collection. If you choose to opt-out of location collection, certain functionality of our Services may not be available.
You may opt out of certain of our or our Vendors’ targeted marketing practices in web browsers and mobile applications by following the instructions above in this Privacy Notice, or below. Please note that you will need to opt out separately on all of your browsers and devices, as each opt-out will apply only to the specific browser or device from which you opt out. If you delete or reset your cookies or mobile identifiers, change browsers, or use a different device, any opt-out cookie or tool may no longer work and you will have to opt out again. If you participate in any programs with, or receive services from, our franchisees or licensees, you will need to opt out of their systems separately. Note that some Vendors, franchisees or licensees may also make their own opt-out process available. Please note that even if you choose to opt-out of receiving targeted advertising, you may still receive advertising about Boston Market.
- Web Browser Opt-Out. To opt out in web browsers, please visit the Network Advertising Initiative Consumer Opt-Out Page at www.networkadvertising.org/choices, the Digital Advertising Alliance Consumer Choice page at www.aboutads.info/consumers.
- Mobile Application Opt-Out. To opt out in mobile apps, please download the Digital Advertising Alliance’s AppChoices tool at www.aboutads.info/appchoices and adjust the advertising preferences on your mobile device. For example, to adjust your advertising preferences in iOS, visit the limit ad tracking settings within the Settings functionality of your mobile device; to adjust your advertising preferences in Android, visit the opt-out of interest-based ads settings within the Settings functionality of your mobile device. You can also use the settings within your device to opt out of or turn off push notifications.
- Location Opt-Out. If you do not want Boston Market to use your specific longitude and latitude information for targeted marketing purposes, you may adjust your location preferences on your computer, browser, or mobile device. You can also stop our collection of location information by uninstalling our mobile application from your device.
If you would like to request that Boston Market limit the use or sharing of your Personal Information for other targeted marketing purposes, such as to deliver targeted ads to you on your TV (where available), or other online service based on your Personal Information, please contact us by emailing our Guest Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. If your Personal information has previously been shared with our Vendors or other third parties, any request to limit such sharing may not be effective with respect to such previously shared Personal Information. Some of the Vendors that display our ads on their services may provide you with additional choices to opt out of targeted advertising. For example, social media and TV providers may allow you to control your advertising preferences directly through their services. Please review the privacy policies of the third-party services you use for more information.
6. Children’s Privacy
The online services are not directed toward children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect any Personal Information from children under the age of 13. If you are between the ages of 13 and 18, please ensure that you use the online services with the permission of a parent or guardian. You must be 18 to use some portions of the Services. If a child under 13 provided this Site with Personal Information, we ask that a parent or guardian contact us by emailing our Guest Service Center at email@example.com, call us at 800-877-2870 or write us at Guest Service Center, Boston Market Corporation, 14103 Denver West Pkwy, Golden, CO 80401 so that we may promptly delete the child’s information from our records.
7. Information Security
Boston Market maintains reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your Personal Information. Unfortunately though, we can’t guarantee that any safeguards or security measures will be sufficient to prevent a security problem. If you believe your account(s) have been compromised, please immediately contact us by emailing our Guest Contact Center at firstname.lastname@example.org take immediate action to remove any credit card, Boston Market gift card, or other payment information associated with your account(s). Email submissions over the Internet may not be secure, so please do not include any sensitive or confidential information in your message to us.
Personal and Other Information may be transferred to and stored on computers and servers located in the United States and other countries located outside your country of residence. Personal Information might be disclosed to governments or law enforcement agencies in these countries where required by law. By agreeing to this Notice, using the online services, and/or sharing your Personal Information with Boston Market, you consent to such transfer.
We are committed to taking appropriate measures designed to keep your personal information secure. Our technical, organizational and physical procedures are designed to protect personal information from accidental, unlawful or unauthorized loss, access, disclosure, use, alteration, or destruction. While we make efforts to protect our information systems, no website, mobile application, computer system, or transmission of information over the internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
We keep your information for the length of time needed to carry out the purposes outlined in this privacy statement and to adhere to our policies on keeping records (unless a longer period is needed by law). Our records policies reflect applicable laws. We will retain and use your information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations (for example, if we are required to retain your information to comply with applicable tax/revenue laws), resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, and as otherwise described in this statement.
9. Your Choices and Changing Your Information
We provide you with the ability to review or change certain of your Personal Information and make certain choices about how we use or share Personal or Other Information. You may review, change, or exercise choice regarding certain of your Personal or Other Information as follows:
- To update, verify, or delete certain of your Personal Information, please edit the applicable account. If you need assistance, please contact us by emailing our Guest Service Center at email@example.com. Note that not all fields are able to be changed.
- To opt out of certain analytics tracking, online advertising and third-party tracking, see the “Usage Information” and the “Analytics” and “Opt-Out Choices” subsections of the “Third Party Analytics and Targeted Marketing” section above.
- To stop sharing your specific longitude and latitude information with us, you may adjust your location preferences on your computer, browser, or mobile device.
- To request that Boston Market does not share your Personal Information with third parties for their own marketing purposes on a going-forward basis, please contact us by emailing our Guest Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To unsubscribe from marketing emails, click the “unsubscribe” link found in our marketing email messages.
In some cases this information may not be immediately updated, subject to retention for Program administration, dispute resolution, troubleshooting, and other valid legal or business reasons. Your historical usage information may remain in our records. Also see the “Usage Information” and “Analytics” and “Opt Out Choices” sub section of the “Third Party Analytics and Targeted Marketing” section above for other limitations. Other choices may be available within your account page or presented to you in certain marketing communications.
10. Third-Party Sites/Services
The online services may access or provide links to web sites or online services not operated by Boston Market, including our Vendor(s) related to certain Programs or services offered through the online services (such as gift card purchases or interaction with voice assist services or other third party assisted ordering processes (e.g., Google, Facebook, Instagram)). We may also provide you with access to third party functionality that allows you to post certain content from the online services to your social media account(s). Any information that you provide that interacts with the Third Party service or that you post to a third-party site or service is governed by the applicable third party’s terms and privacy Notice. Boston Market assumes no responsibility for third-party services or websites, including but not limited to, the privacy practices of these third-party sites. We encourage you to be aware of this when you leave the Online services and/or share information with third parties or the public, and we recommend that you review the privacy policies of such third-party sites.
For More Information
If you have any questions regarding our Privacy Notice, please contact us by emailing our Guest Service Center at email@example.com.
11. California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits customers of Boston Market who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us by emailing our Guest Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or write us at: Guest Service Center, Boston Market Corporation, 14103 Denver West Pkwy. Golden, CO 80401.
12. Changes To Our Privacy Statement
This Privacy Notice is in effect as of the date noted at the top of the statement. We may change or modify this privacy statement from time to time. If we do, we will post the revised version here and change the “last updated date” (the date it applies from) at the top of the statement. You should check here regularly for the most up-to-date version of the statement. Any changes or modifications will be effective immediately upon posting of the changes or modifications, and to the extent permitted by law you waive any right you may have to receive specific notice of such changes or modifications.
13. How To Contact Us
You can contact us at any time about our privacy practices at our company headquarters, as noted below.
Attention: Data Protection Office
Boston Market Corporation
14103 Denver West Pkwy
Golden, CO 80401